A Federal High Court in Lagos Monday ordered the interim forfeiture of two houses in Ilorin, Kwara State belonging to former Senate president, Bukola Saraki.
Justice Rilwan Aikawa made the order following an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The EFCC told the court it uncovered monumental fraud perpetrated in the treasury of the Kwara State Government between 2003 and 2011, when Saraki was the governor of the state.
Based on an ex parte application filed by the EFCC pursuant to Section 17 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act No. 14, 2006, Justice Rilwan Aikawa ordered the temporary forfeiture of Saraki’s two properties designated as Plots No. 10 and No. 11 Abdulkadir Road, GRA, Ilorin, Kwara State.
An operative of the EFCC, Olamide Sadiq, said in an affidavit filed in support of the ex parte application that the move for the forfeiture of the houses followed the findings of the EFCC after investigation “the report of a committee set up to review sales of Kwara State Government during the reign of the Governor of Kwara State in the year 2003 and 2011.”
He said the EFCC also received “a damning intelligence report, showing monumental fraud perpetrated in the treasury of the Kwara State Government between 2003 and 2011.” Sadiq said, “Whilst the investigation was ongoing several fraudulent transactions were discovered.
“I know for a fact and verily believe that our investigation has revealed the following mind-boggling findings, among others:
“That between 2003 and 2011, Dr Olubukola Abubakar Saraki was the Executive Governor of Kwara State.
“That whilst he held the aforementioned position, the common pattern was that after payment of monthly allocation by the Federal Government to the Kwara State Government, a cumulative sum of not less than N100m will be deposited into the Kwara Government House account.
“That upon the payment of the said N100m, same will, in turn, be withdrawn in cash by one Mr Afeez Yusuf from the Kwara State Government House, Ilorin’s account in bits and brought to the Government House.”
The EFCC said it believed that Saraki developed the two properties with proceeds of unlawful activities.
Counsel for the commission, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, urged Justice Aikawa to order their temporary forfeiture to the Federal Government.
After granting the order as prayed, Justice Aikawa directed the EFCC to publish the temporary forfeiture order in a
national newspaper and adjourned till December 17 for anyone interested in the properties to appear before him to show cause why the properties should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.
Nine-Year Old Boy Passes University-Level Maths Exam [VIDEO]
The Mathematics Certification Institute of Japan on Tuesday said a 9-year-old boy from the Western Japanese province of Hyogo has passed a university-level maths exam.
According to the Kyodo news agency, the institute said Shogo Ando had been studying for the exam for two years and intended to use his mathematical skills for the betterment of society.
The report said the boy was cited as saying that he would like to use his skills to combat climate change.
Testing and achievement are central to Japan’s highly competitive school system.
However, according to the latest data from the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), Japan has fallen from fifth to sixth place in the ranking of countries by their school pupils’ maths abilities.
Sowore Vs DSS: National Assembly May One Day Be Invaded, Says Reps Member
Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu from Delta State said if the invasion of the federal high court allegedly by the DSS is not properly put to check, the National Assembly may one day be invaded.
It will be recalled that some operatives of the DSS broke into the court while in session to rearrest the convener of #Revolution Now protest, Omoyele Sowere barely 24 hours after his release from their detention facility last week Thursday in Abuja.
But the DSS had since denied swooping in on Sowore in the court. Miffed by the alleged invasion, the House at plenary on Tuesday resolved to probe the matter to unravel the circumstances.
“Worried further that if this action is not properly put to check, the National Assembly may one day be invaded and the relevant security agencies will claim not knowing who the offenders are,” Elumelu said.
Elumelu in the motion canvassed for adherence and respect to the concept of separation of powers as enshrined in the laws of Nigeria, fearing that if the invasion was not checked and offenders punished, it might degenerate to National Assembly someday.
He said: “The House notes with dismay, the exhibition of thuggery, brute force, lawlessness, contempt and disregard for the rule of law by yet to be identified persons within the precinct of the Federal high court, Abuja on the 6th day of December, 2019.
“Further Notes that the videos emerging in public domain shows these unidentified person trying to bundle Omoleye Sowore and his co-accused Olawale Bakare away from the courtroom, while Sowore’s supporters were resisting them, which is an abuse to the sanctity of the courtroom.
Concerned that the men of the civil society claims that the unidentified masked man are agents of the Department of the state services (D.S.S).
“The Department of State Services has denied through their spokesman Peter Afunanya that its personnel were never involved in the incident
“Concerned further that section 4,5 and 6 of the 1999 Constitution as amended guarantees the separation of powers and the independence of every arm of Government.
“A situation where one arm is seen to be overpowering another in the course of dispensing her duties, will definitely spell doom for the separation of powers as enshrined in the Constitution.
“Worried that the actions of these unidentified persons disrupted judicial proceedings on the 6th day of December 2019 and made the presiding judge to abandon her duty post because of safety concerns.
This is a complete desecration of the temple of justice and such an action should be completely discouraged. “Worried further that if this action is not properly put to check, the National Assembly may one day be invaded and the relevant security agencies will claim not knowing who the offenders are. “
Aware that the invasion of the Federal high court Abuja runs contrary to the avowed assurances of the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria “Further Aware that physically assaulting Mr. Omoleye Sowore and his co-defendant Olawale Bakare by the yet to be identified persons inside the court room is the highest act of sacrilege against the judicial arm of government and a complete disrespect to the rule of law.”
Adopting the motion, the House mandated its committees on National Security and Intelligence, Judiciary and Human Rights respectively to investigate the event and report back to the House within two weeks.
Two Ex-Govs In War Of Words At Airport
A report by Daily Trust indicate that two former governors of Sokoto state, Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa and Senator Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko engaged in a war of words at the Sultan Abubakar III International Airport, Sokoto on Monday, December 9.
Bafarawa was said to have shunned Wamakko who stood to greet him at the VIP lodge of the airport on his arrival.
According to the report, Bafarawa’s action was the recent statement made by his predecessor, which termed him as a seasonal migrant to Sokoto state.
“You said I am a seasonal visitor to Sokoto, why are you greeting me. I know my father and grand father were born and died here, I can even show you their graves. Can you show me the grave of your grand father?,” he allegedly asked Wamakko.
Wamakko was said to have responded by saying: “I don’t want to know where your father and grant father are buried. All I know is that you are a seasonal migrant in Sokoto, that is all.
“There are other people whose parents and grant parents have been buried here but you called them seasonal migrants as well. So just go and face your businesses.”
The duo, however, boarded the same flight to Abuja after the hot exchange of words. Wamakko, now a senator, deputized Bafarawa for almost eight years before he voluntarily resigned to avoid impeachment.
The senator later succeeded Bafarawa after defeating his anointed candidate who is now the minister of police affairs, Alhaji Muhammadu Maigari Dingyadi in the Sokoto state 2007 governorship election. Meanwhile, a recent media report revealed that former governor of Zamfara state, Abdulaziz Yari, paid himself and his former deputy N525 million two days before they left office.
According to the report, official documents and a bank statement show that Yari was paid N350 million two days before he left office. The money was paid from the state government’s gratuity funds under the pension sub-account with a new generation bank branch in Gusau, the state capital on Monday, May 27.
Also, the then outgoing deputy governor, Ibrahim Wakkala, was paid N175 million from the same account.
News2 months ago
Again, Another APC Governor Loses To PDP At Tribunal
News3 months ago
Grace Mugabe Cries To Obasanjo During Mugabe Funeral[PHOTOS]
News3 months ago
BREAKING: Former Buhari’s Minister Decamps To PDP
News2 months ago
BREAKING: Aisha Buhari Finally Speaks, Reveals Her Plans
News3 months ago
South Africans Stage Demonstration To Beg Nigerians For Forgiveness Over Xenophobic Attacks [VIDEO]
News2 months ago
Why I Didn’t Hand Over Power To Osinbajo When Traveling – Buhari
News3 months ago
BREAKING: APC Loses Another 2 Reps At Tribunal To PDP
Metro3 months ago
Another Lady Murdered In Hotel With White Handkerchief Tied On Her Leg [PHOTOS]