Connect with us

News

I’m Not Handling ‘Ruga’ Settlements, Osinbajo Faults Miyetti Allah’s Claim

Published

on

The Office of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has faulted claims by the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria that Osinbajo’s office is in charge of implementing the Ruga settlement initiative across the country.

The General Secretary of MACBAN, Baba Uthman Ngelzarma, had said Osinbajo’s office was in charge of implementing the programme nationwide.

He had said, “This Ruga settlement model is a component part of the livestock development and transformation plan that is being implemented under the Office of the Vice-President. It is a component part of it.

“All must agree with me that the crisis we are facing today has become a multi-dimensional one and so the approach must also be holistic. It was the desire of the Federal Government to take a holistic approach that gave birth to the Ruga settlement model and it is not only for Fulani herders.”

However, the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, said in a tweet on Friday that the programme being handled by Osinbajo was different from the one being referred to by Miyetti Allah.

Akande said the National Livestock Transformation Plan, which had been endorsed by the National Economic Council, was different from the Ruga programme

He tweeted, “Contrary to claims reported in sections of the media, Ruga settlements are not being supervised by the Office of the Vice President. Ruga is different from the National Livestock

Transformation Plan approved by state governors under the auspices of the National Economic Council.
“On the National Livestock Transformation Plan, 13 States are already in the process of implementation of a plan to transform the livestock production system in Nigeria along market-oriented value chain while ensuring an atmosphere of peace and justice.

“The states are Adamawa, Benue, Kaduna, Plateau, Nasarawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Katsina, Kano, Kogi, Kwara, Ondo, and Edo. These states are at different stages in the process but have indicated readiness to implement the plan. Truth is: this Federal Government will not impose on any state government regarding its land.

“NEC okayed the plan based on the recommendation of a technical committee of the council chaired by Ebonyi State Governor Umahi. Other state governors who were on the committee and working group are Adamawa, Kaduna, Benue, Taraba, Edo, Plateau, Oyo and Zamfara-mostly the frontline states.”

Facebook Comments

News

DSS Questions Sowore For Alleged Ties To IPOB, Boko Haram, Shiite

Published

on

dss

Sources familiar with the continued detention of Omoyele Sowore have told PREMIUM TIMES the Nigerian activist and convener of RevoluionNow was questioned earlier this week over purported ties to Boko Haram and other outlawed groups. Terrorism allegations were the focus of a grilling session conducted with Mr Sowore by State Security Service operatives on November 12, two sources familiar with the event told PREMIUM TIMES this weekend.

“Agents have been asking him to tell them about his relationship with Boko Haram, Islamic Movement of Nigeria and the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra,” a source said on Sunday afternoon.

“He has continued to deny any relationship with all these groups.” Boko Haram was outlawed by the Jonathan administration and later designated a foreign terrorist organisation by the United States in November 2013.

President Buhari’s categorisation of Shiite IMN and separatist IPOB has remained one of the most controversial decisions of his government, with opinions splitting over whether a religious or self-determination group could be outlawed under a secular constitutional democracy.

The information came 10 days after Nigerians had been demanding official explanation for the controversial re-arrest of Mr Sowore on December 6.

The questioning indicated the secret police has started fresh plots to file yet another set of criminal charges against the Sahara Reporters, and would likely be before another judge.

This came a week after Omoyele Sowore was violently seized from courtroom by armed agents of the DSS, a domestic intelligence outfit reputable for acts of repression and targeted attacks on anti-government voices.

Mr Sowore was released the night preceding the December 6 court invasion when the SSS pretended to obey the order of a federal judge handling the case.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Culture/Religion

BREAKING: Traditional Ruler, Oluwo Divorces Jamaican Wife

Published

on

The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi, has divorced his wife, Chanel Chin, saying “she is now an ex-Queen of Iwoland.

Though the reason for the separation between the traditional ruler and his ex-wife, a Jamaican who had a boy named Oduduwa for him could not be ascertained, a statement signed by the monarch’s Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Mr Alli Ibraheem confirmed the development.

According to the statement: “This is to inform the general public, most especially friends and associates of the Oluwo of Iwoland, His Imperial Majesty, Oba (Dr) Abdulrosheed Adewale Akanbi, Telu I, that Ms Chanel Chin is an ex-queen of his majesty.

This information is necessary for the attention of the general public to avoid representation on proxy or accordance of respect attached to the sacred stool of Oluwo to her.

“For personal irreconcilable differences, Chanel Chin ceased to be his Majesty’s queen. We equally enjoin the public to disregard any business transaction or request with her using the office of his majesty. We wish her the best in her new journey,” the statement concluded. It would be recalled that Oba Akanbi got married to Chanel Chin shortly after he ascended the throne of his forefathers in November 10, 2015.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

2023 Presidency: Jonathan, Others Destroy Zoning Formula – Arewa Youths

Published

on

By

election

The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum (AYCF) has accused a former president, Goodluck Jonathan and all those who helped him to get to power in 2011 of breaking the zonal arrangement for a rotational presidency.

The accusation was made by AYCF’s national president, Yerima Shettima, when he visited Legit TV studios on Tuesday, December 10 in Lagos.

Speaking on Legit TV’s live programme, Political Arena, Shettima argued that Jonathan was supposed to just finish Yar’ Adua’s term after the latter’s death and move on, rather than choosing to stay on.

Former president, Goodluck Jonathan, is accused of destroying the zoning arrangement by contesting in 2011 instead of stepping aside for a northerner.

Shettima noted that by staying on in power after using up Yar’Adua’s two years, Jonathan took an additional 4 years away from the region.

This incident, Shettima said, completely ended the gentleman’s agreement between the north and the south on rotational leadership at the centre.

“Jonathan had that remnant of two years from Yar’Adua’s regime and subsequently in 2011, ordinarily, in the spirit of a rotational presidency, or whatever-whatever, ordinarily in normal circumstances, one would have expected Jonathan to step aside and allow another northern person to come onboard.

But Jonathan still went ahead (to contest for the presidency). And that was the moment when the issue of a rotational presidency was completely jettisoned. It is not even on record anymore. At that level, I believe strongly that the agreement had been broken.”

Asked if he blamed Jonathan for the collapse of the zoning arrangement, Shettima replied, “I blame those who stood at that time to do what they did.”

Arewa youths believe that the gentleman’s agreement to rotate the presidency between the north and the south has been broken completely – AYCF’s national president, Shettima, said the blame for this should be placed on all of those that helped Jonathan become president in 2011 – Shettima believes that because of this and more, the north deserves to remain in power for longer than 2023 when President Buhari ends his term

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending