Connect with us


Man Arrested For Chaining, Locking Up His 10-Year-Old Son Over Refusal To Attend School



A man identified as Malam Abubakar Mohammed of Top Medical area, in Minna, Niger state, has been arrested for putting his 10-year-old son, Mohammed in chains and locking him up in the house.

The man, who was said to have been arrested sometimes ago for molesting a student in his Islamic school, put his son in chain on Tuesday over the child’s absenteeism from the UBE Primary School, Tunga in Minna, and refusal to attend Islamic school.

The young Mohammed said only the father can undo the chain as he has the key. The agency officials have to engage the service of a motorcycle repairer before the obstacle could be removed.

Speaking with newsmen on the development, the state official overseeing the Agency, Barrister Maryam Kolo said Abubakar’s neighbours alerted her office of the abuse. “We got the information from the suspect’s neighbours and we promptly deployed our operatives who rescued the boy from where he was locked up by the father,” she explained.

She said Malam Abubakar is not a first-time offender, adding that he was once arrested by the agency and handed over to men of the Department of State Security Service for prosecution.

She said the agency would hand him over to the security agencies for prosecution after concluding its investigation. In an interview with newsmen at the premises of the agency, Malam Abubakar said he took the action as corrective measures after repeated appeals to the son to mend his ways failed.

According to him, the son is fond of absconding from school and keeping late nights, adding that all the entreaties for him to change failed. He said he chained and locked the boy up on Wednesday morning after he went for the early morning prayers and did not see him in the mosque.

We looked for him everywhere but couldn’t find him. In fact, he apparently did not sleep at home; so I went to where they normally hang out with his friends and saw him sleeping. I took him home and decided to use chain to prevent him from going anywhere until I returned from a naming ceremony but when I got back, I learnt some people from the human rights have taken him,” he explained.

The agency said the state government would take-over the welfare of the boy after the required counselling, adding that the custody would be transferred to the mother who is living in a community in Katcha local government area of the state.

The Niger State office of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), said it would follow up the matter to its logical conclusion, adding that the action was akin to torture and inhumane treatment which the Anti-Torture Act 2017 seeks to address.

The head of the commission, Malam Nuhu Mohammed, said the action was inhumane and degrading, pointing out that the Anti-Torture Act explicitly makes the right to freedom from torture, inhuman and degrading treatment non-negotiable.

He said the commission is collaborating with relevant government agencies and rights groups in fighting various abuses and right issues in the state.

Facebook Comments


Ekiti: Two Men In Court For Stealing 20 Goats




Two men Ojo Gbenga, 30, and Bamidele Ayo, 31, were on Tuesday arraigned in an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged possession of stolen goats.

Gbenga and Ayo, whose addresses were not provided, are facing a one-count charge of possession of stolen goats.

The prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Nov. 20, at about 07:30 a.m., in Ado-Ekiti.

Akinwale alleged that they were in possession of 20 she-goats suspected to be stolen.

He said that the defendants were apprehended by the police, following a tip-off by informants at Adehun Street, Ado-Ekiti.

He said the offence contravened Section 430 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.

The prosecutor, however, asked the court for an adjournment to enable him to study the case file and assemble witnesses.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Their counsel, Mrs Iyanu Ayorinde, urged the court to grant the defendants bail, promising that they would not jump bail.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Adefumike Anoma, granted the defendants bail in the sum of N20,000 with one surety in like sum.

Anoma adjourned the case until Jan.16 for further hearing, NAN reports

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading


Gunmen Kidnap CAN Chairman




The Christian Association of Nigeria, (CAN) chairman of Wukari Local Government Area of Taraba State, Rev Bulus Gani has been kidnapped.

It was learnt that Rev. Gani was abducted by gunmen over the weekend.

The victim’s brother, Hon. Daniel Gani confirmed that Rev Gani was on his way from Abuja in his car when he was kidnapped along Sarkin-Kudu Ibi Local Government Area of the state.

He further stated that his adaptors had established contact with his family, saying that he was in good condition, even as they demanded N30 million ransom, Independent reports.

Also confirming Rev Gani’s abduction, the Caretaker Chairman of Ibi, Hon. Bala Bako said the case is being investigated.

“I received a call by my people about the kidnap of the pastor, I had no other choice than to cut short my stay in Jalingo and returned to Ibi around 3a.m.

“As we talk I am at the scene where he was kidnapped at Sarkin-Kudu and I have called an electrician and we got a toying van so that his car will be taken to Ibi town.

“The cases of kidnapping in the area is very rare, we wonder why this one happened but it is been investigated,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading


Fire Guts Owode-Onirin Market In Lagos, Razes Over 30 Shops




Over 30 shops have been destroyed in popular Owode-Onirin market in Lagos by a mysterious fire.

The Lagos State Emergency Management (LASEMA) Public Affairs Officer, Mr. Nosa Okunbor, said the fire started from the metal section of the expansive market and spread swiftly to other areas on Sunday.

Responding to a distress call made to the Lagos State Response Unit’s emergency numbers (767/112), the LASEMA coordinating the men of the Lagos State Fire Service team swung into action and battled the raging fire until it was brought under control, dousing the palpable tension and panic it had caused earlier.

The cause of the fire could not immediately be ascertained as reports suggest that the Owode-Onirin market has been without power supply since 2017.

While the extent of damage could not immediately be quantified, respondents at the scene of the fire say that about thirty shops were completely burnt down as at the time of filing in this report. No lives were lost according to members of the public who were at the scene but the quantity of property and goods destroyed were massive.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading