Connect with us

News

Proper Planning Will Drastically Reduce Youth Unemployment in Nigeria – IBB

Published

on

Former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (rtd), has said that proper planning by governments at all levels will drastically reduce youth unemployment in Nigeria.

Babangida made this known at his uphill residence in Minna, Niger State when he received a team of the National Defence College who paid him a visit Monday evening

“Planning will be the best way to manage youth unemployment and idleness as well as pave the way for comprehensive empowerment programmes” Babangida told his visitors.

The former military president also told the course participants to “initiate policies that will enhance good governance and security in Nigeria”.

The former head of state, who was the initiator of the National Defence College, explained that “our vision and concept of the National Defence College was to provide the armed forces and other security agencies the best technical and tactical manpower in the world” and charged the participants and the college not to derail from the track in the interest of the nation.

The team leader, Commodore Solomon Agada, had earlier assured Babangida that the study tour to Niger State was to have first hand information about developments in the state in order to properly address national challenges.

The theme of the course is ‘Youths Management and National Security: The Niger State Experience.”

Meanwhile, Babangida has disowned twitter handles credited to him.

A statement by his Media Office in Minna said: “General Babangida currently has no twitter handle”.

The statement reads: “The attention of the Media office to General Babangida GCFR, has been drawn to the existence of several twitter handles purportedly owned by the former military president

“We wish to inform members of the public, particularly members of the social media community that General Babangida currently has no twitter handle.

“Also, we wish to state categorically therefore, that the twitter handles bearing the name and photographs of General Babangida are fake and targeted at misleading unsuspecting members of the public.

“Accordingly, we wish to advise all members of the social media community and the general public to be wary of the fake accounts and discountenance whatever message conveyed therein.”

Facebook Comments

News

DSS Questions Sowore For Alleged Ties To IPOB, Boko Haram, Shiite

Published

on

dss

Sources familiar with the continued detention of Omoyele Sowore have told PREMIUM TIMES the Nigerian activist and convener of RevoluionNow was questioned earlier this week over purported ties to Boko Haram and other outlawed groups. Terrorism allegations were the focus of a grilling session conducted with Mr Sowore by State Security Service operatives on November 12, two sources familiar with the event told PREMIUM TIMES this weekend.

“Agents have been asking him to tell them about his relationship with Boko Haram, Islamic Movement of Nigeria and the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra,” a source said on Sunday afternoon.

“He has continued to deny any relationship with all these groups.” Boko Haram was outlawed by the Jonathan administration and later designated a foreign terrorist organisation by the United States in November 2013.

President Buhari’s categorisation of Shiite IMN and separatist IPOB has remained one of the most controversial decisions of his government, with opinions splitting over whether a religious or self-determination group could be outlawed under a secular constitutional democracy.

The information came 10 days after Nigerians had been demanding official explanation for the controversial re-arrest of Mr Sowore on December 6.

The questioning indicated the secret police has started fresh plots to file yet another set of criminal charges against the Sahara Reporters, and would likely be before another judge.

This came a week after Omoyele Sowore was violently seized from courtroom by armed agents of the DSS, a domestic intelligence outfit reputable for acts of repression and targeted attacks on anti-government voices.

Mr Sowore was released the night preceding the December 6 court invasion when the SSS pretended to obey the order of a federal judge handling the case.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Culture/Religion

BREAKING: Traditional Ruler, Oluwo Divorces Jamaican Wife

Published

on

The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi, has divorced his wife, Chanel Chin, saying “she is now an ex-Queen of Iwoland.

Though the reason for the separation between the traditional ruler and his ex-wife, a Jamaican who had a boy named Oduduwa for him could not be ascertained, a statement signed by the monarch’s Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Mr Alli Ibraheem confirmed the development.

According to the statement: “This is to inform the general public, most especially friends and associates of the Oluwo of Iwoland, His Imperial Majesty, Oba (Dr) Abdulrosheed Adewale Akanbi, Telu I, that Ms Chanel Chin is an ex-queen of his majesty.

This information is necessary for the attention of the general public to avoid representation on proxy or accordance of respect attached to the sacred stool of Oluwo to her.

“For personal irreconcilable differences, Chanel Chin ceased to be his Majesty’s queen. We equally enjoin the public to disregard any business transaction or request with her using the office of his majesty. We wish her the best in her new journey,” the statement concluded. It would be recalled that Oba Akanbi got married to Chanel Chin shortly after he ascended the throne of his forefathers in November 10, 2015.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

2023 Presidency: Jonathan, Others Destroy Zoning Formula – Arewa Youths

Published

on

By

election

The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum (AYCF) has accused a former president, Goodluck Jonathan and all those who helped him to get to power in 2011 of breaking the zonal arrangement for a rotational presidency.

The accusation was made by AYCF’s national president, Yerima Shettima, when he visited Legit TV studios on Tuesday, December 10 in Lagos.

Speaking on Legit TV’s live programme, Political Arena, Shettima argued that Jonathan was supposed to just finish Yar’ Adua’s term after the latter’s death and move on, rather than choosing to stay on.

Former president, Goodluck Jonathan, is accused of destroying the zoning arrangement by contesting in 2011 instead of stepping aside for a northerner.

Shettima noted that by staying on in power after using up Yar’Adua’s two years, Jonathan took an additional 4 years away from the region.

This incident, Shettima said, completely ended the gentleman’s agreement between the north and the south on rotational leadership at the centre.

“Jonathan had that remnant of two years from Yar’Adua’s regime and subsequently in 2011, ordinarily, in the spirit of a rotational presidency, or whatever-whatever, ordinarily in normal circumstances, one would have expected Jonathan to step aside and allow another northern person to come onboard.

But Jonathan still went ahead (to contest for the presidency). And that was the moment when the issue of a rotational presidency was completely jettisoned. It is not even on record anymore. At that level, I believe strongly that the agreement had been broken.”

Asked if he blamed Jonathan for the collapse of the zoning arrangement, Shettima replied, “I blame those who stood at that time to do what they did.”

Arewa youths believe that the gentleman’s agreement to rotate the presidency between the north and the south has been broken completely – AYCF’s national president, Shettima, said the blame for this should be placed on all of those that helped Jonathan become president in 2011 – Shettima believes that because of this and more, the north deserves to remain in power for longer than 2023 when President Buhari ends his term

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending