The Presidency on Sunday slammed some groups of citizens for advocating restructuring of Nigeria through violent change and social unrest.
The President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, raised the alarm while reacting to a statement credited to a former Chief of Defence Staff, retired Gen. Alexander Ogomudia, who submitted that, ‘Nigeria may be restructured violently.’
According to him, the greatest threat facing Nigeria as a geo-political entity comes from those mindsets and entities rooted in the idea of violence as a means to change.
The presidential aide stated that, ”this vituperation, coming from a former military Chief speaks volumes about the mindset of groups of citizens who have yet to accept democracy as a form of government.
”It is very important to stress that we as a nation, are a constitutional democracy and changes to the country in structure, its systems, policy and politics must abide by the norms of democracy, otherwise they would be extrajudicial and therefore unconstitutional.
”This system has subsisted, uninterrupted, for upward of 20 years and still going, and the country’s law courts, with its armed forces are primed at all times to defend it using all means that are lawful.
”The biggest challenge to the country today is not necessarily from perceived regional or state imbalances or conflicts between the government at the centre and states but from the mindsets and entities rooted in the idea of violence as a means to change.
”Such individuals, groups and entities peddling ideologies of violence and hate are closed to the notion of healthy dialogue through popular platforms including elected parliaments, hence only open to violence and destruction as their means.”
He, however, maintained that the Buhari administration would continue to promote the virtues of democratic principles to counter ”the growing calls for violence as a means to change” in the country.
He said: ”This administration under President Muhammadu Buhari is strongly of the view that democracy that is self-correcting under the laws as we have is the answer to growing calls for violence and a means to change in the structure, form and content of the union that binds us as one country.”
Shehu also dismissed the assertion that nothing had been done by the Buhari administration on the unfortunate gruesome murder of retired Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, a former Chief of Defence Staff.
”Equally important is to deny the General’s assertion that nothing had been done on the unfortunate gruesome murder of Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, a former Chief of Defence Staff.
”Truth is, the investigation instituted by General Olonisakin, the current Chief of Defence Staff, has led to the arrest of 14 suspects based on their alleged involvement in a report that has been sent to the police and the Nigeria Air Force for further action,” he added.
Despite AGF’s Directive, DSS Interrogated Sowore For 4 Hours – Falana Raises Alarm
Legal luminary and lawyer to convener of RevolutionNow movement and publisher of Saharareporters, Femi Falana (SAN), has alleged that Department of State Services (DSS) is looking for evidence to ‘nail’ Sowore despite AGF’s directive.
DAMMYLINK recalls that Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation (AGF), Mr Abubakar Malami had in a letter sent to Yusuf Bichi, Director-General of the Department of State Service(DSS), directed the security agency to promptly forward the case file to his office.
Reacting to the directive, Falana said the development was not a take over because it was the AGF that initially filed a case against Sowore before it was transferred to Hassan Liman, the prosecuting counsel,
The human rights lawyer disclosed that the DSS was aware that it has no solid case against Sowore. Having been advised that Sowore cannot be convicted on the basis of the proof of evidence filed in court, the sss has refused to make the statements of the prosecution witnesess available to the defendants as ordered by the trial court.
“Hence, hearing in the case has been adjourned to February 20, 2020 at the instance of the Prosecution. “Convinced that the pending case would collapse like a pack of cards, the SSS (also called DSS) is currently fishing for evidence to nail Sowore.
In spite of the directive of the AGF to take over the case the SSS subjected Sowore to a 4-hour interrogation yesterday (12/12/19). “The entire interrogation pertained to Sowore’s alleged links with the proscribed Boko Haram sect, IPOB, and IMN which he vehemently denied.
At Sowore’s instance a member of the legal defence team, Abubakar Marshal witnessed the marathon interrogation. “In view of the foregoing we urge the AGF to file a nolle prosequi motion without any further delay to end the macabre dance which has exposed the country to avoidable embarrassment,” Falana said.
APC Rally: Steer Clear Of Edo, Group Warns Oshiomhole
Edo Youth Vanguard, An APC factional group, has warned the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole to steer clear of Edo State on the illegally planned rally scheduled for Friday, December 13, 2019 in the state capital, Benin
It urged President Muhammadu Buhari to call the party’s National Chairman, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole to order over his support for a rally that has the potential of creating crises and breaching the fragile peace in the state.
A faction of the party in the state which has the backing of Oshiomhole has fixed Friday for a rally to receive defectors into the party without the knowledge of the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki and the party’s state chairman, Mr Anselm Ojezua.
Governor Obaseki travelled on Tuesday with President Buhari to Egypt on national assignment and they are expected to return on today.
In a statement issued in Benin by its president, Nosakhare Oseghale and Secreatry General, Edward Ikhide, the EYV questioned the rationale behind the proposed rally, stating that the timing and approach are not only wide off the mark but has sinister motives of eventually fomenting trouble to create an impression of anarchy in the state.
According to Oseghale and Ikhide, issues of public safety are hanging in the balance if the purported rally is allowed to take place, adding that available security reports clearly give credence to the apprehension that the political rally has sinister motives.
He said: “We are amused that some politicians are planning an ill-conceived political rally for Friday and it’s being done without the knowledge of the state’s Chief Security Officer, Governor Godwin Obaseki, who is on a national assignment with President Muhammadu Buhari.
“More curious in the ill-timed proposed rally was the complete and deliberate neglect of the party’s state executive led by its chairman, Mr Anslem Ojezua. So, the question begging for answer is who is the Abuja team organizing the rally for?
“This is the yuletide season and there are already movements within and outside the state, why the desperation to pull down the fragile peace in our state just to prove that a deteriorating influence is still potent?
“For all intents and purposes, this planned rally is provocative and highly susceptible to violence. How can you guarantee the safety of Edo people in a rally where neither the state governor, who is the leader of the APC in Edo State, nor other leaders of the party is aware of the purported declaration rally?”
He urged President Buhari to put a check on the activities of Comrade Oshiomhole, adding that, ‘Edo State is greater than any man or interest.
N362m Trial: Court Jails 2 Men, Orders IGP To Produce Diezani Allison-Madueke
A High Court sitting in Yola, Adamawa State, has sentenced two men to prison over N362m allegedly disbursed by former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Allison-Madueke.
Justice Nathan Musa of High Court 1 on Thursday, December 12th in Yola also ordered the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to produce the 3rd defendant, Allison-Madueke before his court.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had charged Ibrahim Mohammed Umar (1st defendant), Sahabo Iya Hamman (2nd defendant) and Allison-Madueke (3rd defendant) to court for allegedly laundering the said N362m.
He said, “The 3rd defendant in her desire to influence election in favour of then President, Goodluck Jonathan, authorised the release of N362m public money through Fidelity bank to the 1st and 2nd defendants to corrupt election officials.”
Considering the evidences as provided by both the prosecuting and defence counsels, Justice Nathan convicted Umar and Hamman on three-count charges. He therefore, sentenced them to seven years on each of the charges.
The judge however, considered a plea of allocotus from the defence counsel and ordered that the sentences will run concurrently
News2 months ago
Again, Another APC Governor Loses To PDP At Tribunal
News3 months ago
Grace Mugabe Cries To Obasanjo During Mugabe Funeral[PHOTOS]
News3 months ago
BREAKING: Former Buhari’s Minister Decamps To PDP
News2 months ago
BREAKING: Aisha Buhari Finally Speaks, Reveals Her Plans
News3 months ago
South Africans Stage Demonstration To Beg Nigerians For Forgiveness Over Xenophobic Attacks [VIDEO]
News3 months ago
Why I Didn’t Hand Over Power To Osinbajo When Traveling – Buhari
News3 months ago
BREAKING: APC Loses Another 2 Reps At Tribunal To PDP
Metro3 months ago
Another Lady Murdered In Hotel With White Handkerchief Tied On Her Leg [PHOTOS]